In 1959, the State of Illinois purchased 160 acres of natural area near Nashville which provided excellent cover and food for upland game. Additional acreage has been added in succeeding years, currently totaling 1,440 acres. In 1960, the Illinois Department of Conservation (now the Department of Natural Resources) constructed the lake in the areas between two small creeks. This long, thin lake is surrounded by fields and woods. With the addition of picnic and camping areas, this site has become a popular visiting site for outdoors enthusiasts and nature lovers.