Current Closures of DNR Sites and Areas
This page lists current closures of DNR Sites and Areas, by geographic region.
Notices are updated on a continuous basis, so please check before you start your trip.
NOTICE: During hunting season, many sites are closed or partially closed to the public. Public should contact the site directly for closure updates and/or winter hours before going to site.
Region 1 - Northwestern Illinois
Last updated: 9/27/23
- Apple River Canyon - Apple River Canyon Salem/Thompson Units, Hanover Bluff SNA, Rall Woods SNA, Tapley Woods, Winston Tunnel SNA. Areas closed to all but Site-Specific Firearm Deer Hunting Permit Holders on the following dates: October 9, 10, 11; November 19, 20, 21; December 2, 3, 4, 5, 30, 31; January 1, 2, 14, 15, 16 (2022). Area closed until 1 pm to all but site-specific Turkey Hunting Permit Holders: March 26-27, April 2-3, April 11- May 12 (2022). Wards Grove NP: Area closed to all but Site-Specific Firearm Deer Hunting Permit Holders on the following dates: October 9, 10, 11; November 19, 20, 21; December 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 30, 31; January 1, 2, 14, 15, 16 (2022). Witkowsky SFWA: Area closed to all but Site-Specific Firearm Deer Hunting Permit Holders on the following dates: October 9, 10, 11; November 19. 20, 21; December 2, 3, 4, 5, 30, 31: January 1, 2, 14, 15, 16 (2022). Area closed until 1 pm to all but Site-Specific Turkey Hunting Permit Holders: March 26-27, April 2-3, April 11- May 12 (2022).
- Anderson Lake - Camping at the South Camp is available, but on a limited basis due to flooding.
- Argyle Lake - The road around the lake has been closed for the season effective November 16 of each year and will reopen March 15 of each year, weather permitting.
- Castle Rock State Park - open year round except for deer firearm hunting seasons; the park will be closed to all activities for the following 2023/24 Deer Firearm season dates: Nov. 17-19, Nov. 30-Dec. 3, Dec. 8-10, 28-31, and Jan. 12-14. The South end trails are closed until 1pm daily April 10 - May 11 for 2023 Spring Turkey seasons. The river access canoe campground is open May 1 - Oct. 31. River conditions may result in temporary closure of the campground, call the park at 815/732-7329 for current river / campground conditions.
- Franklin Creek State Natural Area - Construction is set to begin on a new ADA accessible path to the mill spring on July 10, 2023. During construction, access will be closed to the mill spring from the Mill Spring Day Use Area (trail marker zero - trail marker 1). Access to the fishing pier will also be closed. We expect the area to re-open August 7, 2023.
- French Bluff State Natural Area - will be closed for firearm deer hunting Nov 19-21, Dec 2-5, Dec 10-12, Dec 30- Jan 2, and Jan 14-16.
- Henderson County –
- Henderson Creek Access Area -
- Hennepin Canal Closures -
- The wells at Lock 21, Lock 22 and Lock 24 are not working; due to budget constraints it is unknown when these will be repaired. The only potable water available is at the Visitor's Center well.
- The IL Rt 92 crossing of the Hennepin Canal Parkway trail (on the feeder section) will be closed 2/28/22 through September for an IDOT bridge replacement. The IDNR parking lot and boat ramp at the Rt 92 location will also be closed during this time, as well as through waterway traffic underneath this crossing.
- Illini State Park - Sunrise Council, Wildcat Bog, and Ancient Oaks day use areas are closed until further notice. Whitetail campground is closed yearly November 1 through April 30. Great Falls Campground is open year around, with shower building close Nov. 01 – Apr. 30
- Johnson-Sauk Trail State Recreation Area - Ottawa, Potawatomi, and Kaskaskia hiking trails are currently closed. Lakeshore Loop is closed for the season and will re-open May 1, 2022. The campground shower building and water hydrants are closed for the season and will re-open May 1, 2022.
- Kishwaukee River SFWA - will be closed to all but permitted archery hunters and site-specific permit shotgun hunters starting Oct. 1.
- Lake Le-Aqua-Na - The south side of the park is closed due to flood damage. The lake is closed to all activities such as fishing, boating and swimming until the lake reaches normal levels. We do not anticipate this to occur until late fall or early spring based on the current weather conditions. Additional information can be obtained by contacting the site. The park will be closed to all but Site-Specific Firearm Deer Hunting Permit Holders November 19, 20, 21 for youth shotgun hunt. The park will reopen Monday, November 22, 2021. Equestrian area is closed November 15h through April 15th.
- The LaSalle Lake - LaSalle Lake closes for the season every year at sunset October 15 and opens March 15 from 6AM to sunset daily.
- Lowden Miller Forest - is open year round except for deer firearm seasons; the Forest will be closed to all activities for the following 2023/2024 Deer Firearm season dates: Nov. 17-19, 30-Dec. 3, Dec. 28-31, Jan. 12-14. The Forest is closed until 1 pm daily April 10-May 11 for 2023 Spring Turkey seasons. The equestrian trails are open starting at 1 pm during Spring Turkey seasons, and sunrise through sunset May 12- Oct 31. Equestrian trails may be temporarily closed due to weather/trail conditions, contact the Castle Rock State Park office at 815-732-7329 for current trail conditions.
- Marseilles State Fish and Wildlife Area - Due to the Illinois National Guard's training needs, Marseilles State Fish and Wildlife Area will be closed to hunting Friday, Saturday, and Sundays throughout the months of September and October of each year.
- Marshall State Fish and Wildlife Area - No stand-by firearm deer hunting allowed in the 2020 season.
- Matthiessen State Park - Horseback trails and the equestrian campground are closed November 1st - March 31st weather depending.
- Mississippi Palisades State Park - will be closed (except the campground) for firearm deer hunting Nov 19-21, Dec 2-5, Dec 30-Jan 2, and Jan 14-16.
- Morrison Rockwood State Park - Equestrian trails and hiking trails are both open. Equestrian trails will close Nov. 1st - April 30th. The entire park will be closed November 19-21 for the first firearm deer season. Permit holders will be contacted by the site. For more information, please contact the park office at 815-772-4708.
- Pekin Lake – is closed to all vehicle access due to road deterioration, walk-in access is allowed.
- Powerton Lake - Powerton Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area near Pekin will be closed Tues., Aug. 18 – Tues., Sept. 15 while maintenance repairs are made on the Powerton Lake levee. Powerton Lake is the cooling lake for the NRG Powerton Generating Station and NRG is coordinating the project.
- Rice Lake SFWA -
- Rock Cut -
- Shabbona Lake State Park - Oct. 1 - Jan. 20 annually all hiking trails except Arrowhead and Touch the Earth are closed for hunting season. Nov. 1- April 30, the shower building is closed, as are Merganser Loop and Teal Bay Loop in the campground. Canvasback Cove Loop remains open as first-come, first-serve, self-registration.
- Starved Rock - Owl Canyon Overlook, Tonti Canyon, and the brown bluff trail above French Canyon are closed.
- White Pines Forest State Park - All Trails, day use areas, shelters and campgrounds are closed during the site's firearm deer season, November 14, 15, 16, 28, 29 & 30, 2022. The Lodge, gift shop, cabins and restaurant, as well as, the immediate lodge/cabin yard will be open. All campgrounds will also be closed on the 13th and 27th. Occasionally due to water levels, the fords must be closed. The day use area between the first two fords and the campgrounds can be accessed by vehicle using the entrance road near the southwest corner of the park.
- Woodford State Fish and Wildlife Area - Camping is closed from Oct 1 - March 31 annually.
Region 2 - Northeastern Illinois
Last updated: 8/10/2023
- Buffalo Rock State Park - Buffalo Rock will be closed on the following dates due to a road construction project on the entrance road. September 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28. The dates in between the site will be open but reduced to one lane of traffic.
- Chain O'Lakes State Park - Park is closed from October 31st (or first day of hunting season) until December 26th. Camping resumes January 1st annually. Contact the park for additional questions
- Des Plaines State Fish & Wildlife Area –
- Goose Lake Prairie – Goose Lake Prairie will be closed to the public during all firearm deer hunting seasons. The Visitor Center is closed indefinitely.
- Heidecke Lake - If wind speeds are forecast to be 25mph or above at any time during the day, Heidecke Lake access to boat fishing will be closed. Bank fishing will still be available at the Heidecke Lake Bank Fishing Area off E. Collins Rd. Wind speeds are checked daily by using the NOAA wind forecast at the Morris Muni-James R Washburn Field Airport here.
- I&M Canal -
- The section of trail from Gebhard Woods in Morris heading east 1/4 mile to Calhoun St. is closed to all visitors.
- Kankakee River -
- The bike trail remains open, but users should STAY ON THE TRAIL.
- The Chippewa Campground is closed for the 2021 season until further notice. Boat launches may intermittently be closed due to high water.
- Some of the restrooms may be closed due to maintenance issues. The main park closes at 8:00 PM. Reservations on ExploreMoreIL™ are highly recommended.
- Mazonia - Braidwood SFWA - Bullhead Lake is open to paddle vessels but is closed to larger boats due to ramp issues.
- McHenry Dam - Site will be closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- Momence Wetlands - The area is closed to mushroom hunters and all users except MW permitted turkey hunters until 1pm daily from April 10th through May 11th for Spring Turkey Hunting Season.
- Moraine Hills - Site is closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- Silver Springs -
- The archery and trap ranges will open back up seven days a week September 6th – November 2nd. Starting November 3rd, they will be open Monday – Thursday, then closed Friday – Sunday until the end of pheasant season December 31st. January 1st – January 14th both ranges will be open 7 days a week. January 15th – February 29th both ranges will be closed completely for coyote season. The equestrian trail is closed annually September 1st – 30th for dove season.
- The equestrian trail will be open October 1st – November 2nd, then closed November 3rd – December 31st. It will reopen January 1st – 14th, and then be closed January 15th – April 14th. April 15th, it reopens until Fall 2024.
- December 1 – April 1 the West entrance of the park closes for winter.
- The Youth Area Campground is currently closed.
- Region II Office (Bartlett) - Closed to the public.
- Volo Bog - Site is closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- William Powers - Effective March 29th 2021 thru June 29th 2021, Double boat ramp at William Powers SFWA will be closed due to construction upgrades of ramp and parking, also access to the 133rd and Ave K parking will close due to construction of a new boat ramp and parking lot.
Region 3 - East Central Illinois
Last updated: 12/20/2022
- Clinton Lake State Recreation Area – The loading dock at West Side Boat Access Area is closed due to pending repairs; the ramp itself remains open. The Mascoutin portion of Clinton Lake, including all access to campsites, boat ramp, shelter and amphitheater and trails, will be closed November 6 through November 11 for the annual firearm deer hunt for disabled hunters. Ringneck Ridge shower building and dump station is currently closed due to pending repairs. Campers may use the Whitetail Prairie shower building and dump station. Boondocks Grill and bait is open for the season through October 8. Mascoutin Beach is CLOSED FOR THE SEASON. Waterfowl Refuge Area from DeWitt Bridge to Route 48 Bridge is closed to boating/fishing/hunting from October 10 through March 31. The Equestrian trail will be closed during statewide firearm deer season. North Fork Trail will be closed during statewide muzzleloader season. All fishing cleaning stations at Clinton Lake are closed indefinitely.
- Eagle Creek State Recreation Area – The campground and amenities are open. The boat ramp and fish cleaning station are open. All trails are available and shelters are open for groups of 50 or less. The golf course is open.
- Fox Ridge State Park – North Canoe Access Road is OPEN.
- Hidden Springs – Hickory Ridge Pond is open. Big Tree Trail is closed indefinitely due to a large fallen tree from storm damage. Oak Ridge Hiking trail is closed indefinitely due to a bridge washout. Sassafras pond is open for fishing. Water hydrants and class C camping are open for the season.
- Kickapoo - The area south of the Middle Fork river boat ramp to 200 yards downstream of the Kickapoo Park Road bridge at Clear Pond is closed during bridge construction. The low water crossing on 1180 E is closed to foot and bike traffic when wet due to slick conditions. Sportsman's Lake Road, I-74 Loop, and the road to Inland Sea will be closed at upon the first snowfall until spring. Fox, Erie, and Redear campgrounds will close November 1st. Areas open to deer hunting will be closed to all activities except to hunters in possession of a site-specific permit during firearms and muzzleloader deer season. Areas open to spring turkey hunting will be closed to all activities until 1:00 PM except hunters in possession of a site-specific permit during turkey hunting hours. Periodic trail closures may occur for prescribed fire. Mountain bike trails are closed from the Monday before shotgun deer season until the Monday following muzzleloader deer season. Mushroom hunting is prohibited in nature preserves and land and water reserves. Areas posted notifying of a prescribed burn are closed on the day of the burn.
- Lincoln Trail Homestead - Outdoor pavilion reservations can currently be made for 4/16/23 through 10/15/23. Prior to 4/16 and between 10/16 until the winter closure period, the pavilions may be used on a "first come, first served bases". Reservations can be made at ExploreMoreIL™. As of 12/20/22 the park gates are closed, park will re-open 4/1/23. Thanks for another great season.
- Lincoln Trail State Park - The restaurant/concession is open for the season.
- Middle Fork SFWA – 2250 N Road will close upon the first snowfall of the winter until spring. The Middle Fork campgrounds will close November 1st. Areas open to deer hunting will be closed to all activities except to hunters in possession of a site-specific permit during firearms and muzzleloader deer season. Areas open to spring turkey hunting will be closed to all activities except hunters in possession of a site-specific permit during turkey hunting hours. Periodic trail closures may occur for prescribed fire. Trap shooting range is non-toxic shot (size 6 or smaller) and rifles or shotguns with slugs are NOT allowed. Mushroom hunting is prohibited in nature preserves and land and water reserves. Areas posted notifying of a prescribed burn are closed on the day of the burn. Horse trails are closed from the Monday before shotgun deer season until the Monday following muzzleloader deer season.
- Moraine View State Recreation Area – Dam is still closed on both sides of Dawson Lake Road due to an ongoing road project.
- Shelbyville State Fish & Wildlife Area - All areas are currently open. Throughout the winter some parking lots and access roads will be temporarily closed due to weather conditions.
- Spitler Woods - All outdoor pavilions, trails, and playgrounds are open for use. Pavilions are first come, first served throughout the off season (10/16/22 - 4/15/23) all outdoor pavilions will open for reservations beginning on April 16, 2023, and remain available for reservation until 10/15/23. Currently, outdoor pavilions have returned to previous capacity levels (100 based on parking availability), the site will continually update capacity parameters as notified by IDPH. All flush restrooms are currently closed for the season and will remain so until 4/16/23. The new vault toilet building near Long Creek will remain open throughout the winter. The indoor pavilion (Ida B. Spitler) is closed for the season, this building will re-open on April 1st, 2023 and may be reserved through October 31st 2023. The site will update the status of the indoor/outdoor pavilion capacities based on Regional COVID-19 parameters as provided by IDPH. Reservations can be made at ExploreMoreIL™
- Walnut Point State Park – The concession, camping and shower building are now open for the season.
- Weldon Springs State Park – The campground is open year-round and the shower building and water facilities are available for the season. Union School Interpretive Center is open on weekends through Labor Day. The boat rental and concession is closed for the 2023 season.
- Wolf Creek State Park – Due to campsite and road work, the Sand Creek Camping Section will be closed from Monday, Oct. 19th until at least Thursday, Oct. 22nd. The Lick Creek Section will have rolling closures for the remainder of the month, which may impact reservations. Campsites will be available, but site specificity can’t be guaranteed. The boat ramp and fish cleaning stations are open. Wolf Creek beach is closed for the season. All trails including the equestrian trail are open and shelters are open to groups of 50 or less.
Region 4 - West Central Illinois
Last updated: 08/07/2023
- Baldwin Lake - park hours are 6am - 9pm pm daily
- Beaver Dam State Park - The Beaver Dam Smokehouse BBQ & Grill is open Wed - Saturday 8am - 9pm and Sunday 8am - 3pm. The fish cleaning station is closed until further notice.
- Eldon Hazlet State Recreation Area - Several park improvement projects are currently in progress. Current projects include privy toilet replacement, shower building renovation, sewer line replacement, sewer plant upgrade, cottage exterior and roof replacement, fish cleaning station upgrade, and maintenance building rehabilitation. Due to construction, first-come, first-serve campsites 67-328 will be closed effective Friday, March 17, 2023. All three shower houses will be closed effective Monday, March 20, 2023 until construction is completed. Please use caution while driving through the park and respect all construction crews and signage. Please call office aat 618-594-3015 for updates. Thank you for your patience and cooperation!
- Fall Creek Rest Area - This area is open to foot traffic only. Visitors are reminded to take all litter with them.
- Horseshoe Lake State Park (Madison County) - the Bend Road area is closed to vehicle traffic; however, it is open for foot and bike traffic.
- Illinois Caverns - is open Friday through Sunday, 9:00AM - 4:00PM, April 15, 2023 to October 31, 2023.
- Jim Edgar Panther Creek - Please call the office for additional trail information at 217-452-7741, which is updated daily after 9am. Office hours are 7:30am - 3:30pm, Monday through Friday or a time for return will be posted on the door.
- Pere Marquette State Park – Please adhere to the open/closed signs as the park DOES CLOSE the Equine Trails during adverse weather to protect the trails. Riders can call 618-786-2311 ext 4 for phone updates as well. Camp Ouatoga is closed for the season, due to rehab project. The Large Riverside Shelter, Small Riverside Shelter, Stone Shelter are available for reservations at www.Camp.ExploreMoreIL. The Equestrian concessionaire is open for the season, please contact 618-786-2156.
- Sand Ridge State Forest - All seasonal venues are open. Visitors are encouraged to check current conditions by calling the site office at 309-597-2212 after 9am daily.
- Sangchris Lake SP - Equestrian trails are closed temporarily due to numerous downed trees from the storm on June 29, 2023. The fish cleaning station is closed until further notice.
- Siloam Springs SP - site has no concessionaire; therefore, there is no boat/kayak rentals.
- Washington County CA - the dock near the Ponderosa public shelter and behind the Got-A-Bite concessions is in the process of before removed from use. After inspection and trying to make repairs to the sections of the existing 96' long floating dock, it is decided to remove the entire dock due to the extent of the repairs needed to keep it safe for public use. The small shelter at Little Bear campground is closed due structural damage caused by recent storms.
- Weinberg King State Park - the equine trails and campgrounds are open for the season.
Region 5 - Southern Illinois
Last updated: 12/22/2022
- Beall Woods - White Oak, Sweet Gum, Schneck, Tuliptree and Lake Trail are currently open. Ridgway is closed due to crossing collapse.
- Cache River Wetland Center - the Wetland center will be closed on Wednesday, December 7th and Thursday, December 8th, Thursday, December 15th and Saturday, December 24th thru Tuesday, January 3rd.
- Cave In Rock State Park - the shower house is closed for the winter.
- Ferne Clyffe State Park - A bulk of the park gates have been closed due to Inclement Weather. The gates will be closed until Tuesday morning as we have no Staff on site through this weekend. Class A Campground will remain open.
- Fort Massac – The inside of the 1802 American Fort will be closed to the public until further notice for public safety.
- Giant City State Park - Giant City Campground shower house is closed for the season. Campground remains open with water, privies and dump station available. Inclement weather (impassable roads) may require campground closure at times during the winter months. Giant City Lodge is closed for the season. The Lodge will re-open on February 3, 2023. Visit giantcitylodge.com for more information. Giant City Stables is closed for the season. Call 618-529-4110 for more information.
- Lake Murphysboro - Shower House is closed 10pm - 7 am. Walk-A-Way Trail is temporarily closed for trail improvements.
- Mermet Lake - The lake will be closing on Monday, November 14th, to the public to establish a waterfowl rest area. After that point, only registered hunters will be allowed in the area.
- Red Hills State Park - The Trace Inn is currently closed.
- Sahara Woods - The OHV construction area at Sahara Woods will be closed to all activities until further notice due to ongoing construction. This includes roughly 1400 acres of the northwest part of the park.
- Sam Dale Lake - ALL Trails & Hunting Areas are closed Sunrise to 1:00PM from April 3, 2023 to May 4, 2023, EXCEPT for permit turkey hunters.
- Stephen A. Forbes State Park - The Beach is temporarily closed. Due to a water leak, sites 1 through 52 in the main campground do not have water. The equestrian campground is without water also due to the water leak. Campers may fill up with water at the dump station at main campground.
- Trail of Tears State Forest - North Forest Road and South Forest Road will be closed December 24, 2022 through May 4, 2023
- Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park - Primitive Tent Camping is currently closed. All camping and trails are closed this week beginning October 31st. The trails and Shady Rest will open on Monday, November 7th.