Land Reclamation is a Division within the Department of Mines and Minerals, and is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the Surface-Mined Land Conservation and Reclamation Act of 1971 and the Surface Coal Mining Land Conservation and Reclamation Act of 1980. This enables Land Reclamation to function as the state's regulatory authority for the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act.
- Ensures that active coal mining operations are properly reclaimed, thereby assuring the restoration of lands affected by mining to productive uses.
- Regulates the repair to land and structures damaged as a result of mine subsidence resulting from active underground coal mining.
- Issues permits for all coal mining operations in the state of Illinois.
- Staff inspect all active coal mining sites to ensure reclamation standards are met and approved reclamation plans are followed.
- Responds to citizen complaints through investigation and inspections.
Is a part of the education outreach program for the state, educating school age children in the classroom and the general public.
Staff attend various school programs, local fairs, and other public events throughout the year. Pending Applications