Illinois Underground Railroad Task Force
The mission of the Underground Railroad Task Force is to develop a statewide plan to connect existing local projects and new projects to create a cohesive statewide history of the Underground Railroad in Illinois while creating new educational opportunities for the State. The Task Force shall submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly by July 1, 2024.
The Task Force was established on June 9, 2023, when it was signed into law, with an effective date of January 1, 2024. It is composed of 10 members, including 5 state legislators from both parties and 5 members with state historical expertise.
Members of the Task Force
- John Ackerman, Clerk of Tazwell County
- Jennifer Edginton, Interim Director, Illinois State Museum
- Rep. Jackie Haas, State Representative
- Dave Joens, Director, Illinois State Archives
- Sen. David Koehler, State Senator
- Larry McClellan, Illinois State Historical Society designee
- Rep. Debbie Meyers-Martin, State Representative
- Sen. Jil Tracy, State Senator
- Sen. Doris Turner, State Senator