Starved Rock Park Trails:
7:00 a.m. - sunset
Starved Rock Visitor Center:
Daily 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Federal holidays from November through March.
Starved Rock Campground:
Gates open at 8:30 a.m. Gates close at 10 p.m. daily.
Starved Rock Lodge:
separate operating hours, please visit: www.starvedrocklodge.com
- Starved Rock State Park Common Questions & Answers
2024 Public Trail/Area Closures
The main parking lot and boat ramp area located off of the west entrance to Starved Rock State Park (route 178) is currently closed until further notice due to flooding from the Illinois River.
Visitors to the park are asked to use the south entrance into the park off of route 71 and park at the gravel overflow parking lot or the lodge to gain access to the park trails. All buildings are open at the park. There are no current trail closures due to flooding.
- Election Day
- Veterans Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Lincolns Birthday
- Presidents' Day
- Main parking lot by the Visitor Center
- Boat Ramp Area
- Brown Bluff trail above French Canyon is CLOSED
- Tonti Canyon and Tonti Bridge are CLOSED.
- The west side trail from LaSalle Canyon to Tonti Canyon is CLOSED.
- Owl Canyon Overlook is CLOSED.
- Complete the Activity Permit at least 2-3 weeks prior to the scheduled visit.
- Acquire Proof of Liability Insurance (business, school, or organization can ask their administrator or main office) or have each participant sign the Release of Liability Form ahead of time.
- Email, mail, or drop off the completed Activity Permit and Proof of Liability Insurance together (or, Release of Liability) to DNR.StarvedRock@illinois.gov at least 2-3 weeks prior to the scheduled visit.
- The Site Superintendent will respond within 2 weeks from the time the permit was handed in with an approval or denial of the group visit through email (DNR.StarvedRock@illinois.gov) or phone at 1-815-667-4726.
The Visitor Center exhibit hall, park office, and information desk are open Daily 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Visitor Center is CLOSED on:
Areas Currently Closed to Visitors
REQUIRED FOR ANY GROUP OF 20 OR MORE
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Land Management requires any group of 20 or more persons who use Department facilities to have advance written permission from the Site Superintendent.
Regardless of group size, the Department may require additional liability coverage to be provided through an Activity Permit. Release of Liability can be used if your organization, family, or school does not have liability insurance. Site managers may deny the request if the facilities are not adequate to handle the size of the group if public health or safety might be compromised, if the liability risk to the Department is too great or if there would be adverse impacts on natural resources at the site.
Activity Permits are to be used whenever a non-traditional use of any facility is requested (for example - a family reunion in the picnic area) and/or any activity that might increase potential liability to the Department (for example - search and rescue teams practicing on rock faces). These requests need to be made at least 21 days in advance of the activity and forwarded to the Regional Office for processing.
A Permit to Sell is needed if food or goods are sold, fees are charged, or when money changes hands in any manner among the organizers, spectators, and/or participants.
Guidelines for Completing Activity Permits
Starved Rock State Park Visitor Center
PO Box 509
Utica, IL 61373