- Daily 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Election Day
- Veterans Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day (Monday the 26 as well)
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Lincolns Birthday
- Presidents' Day
- Junior Ranger Program, please view the INTERPRETIVE tab on this page.
- School and Youth Group Field Trips can view further information on the INTERPRETIVE tab on this page.
- Exhibits and displays are open from 9-4 at the visitor center and discuss the geology, history and ecology of the park.
- Brochures and pamphlets on local resources including state parks, state historic sites, camping, and more.
- In the Shadow of the Rock (history) 15 minutes
- Orientation to Starved Rock 9 minutes
- Smoky the Bear and Friends (cartoon for kids) 9 minutes
- Civilian Conservation Corps (history of the CCC at the park) 15 minutes
- On the Wings of the Wind (bald eagle film) 15 minutes
Situated along the scenic Illinois River, the Starved Rock Visitor Center should be the first stop when visiting the park. Once inside the visitor center, visitors can view museum-quality exhibits and displays detailing the park's history, geology, and ecology.
Hours of Operation
The Visitor Center exhibit hall, park office, and information desk are open Monday through Sunday:
Visitor Center is CLOSED on:
Movies by Request
Trail Maps and Recommendations
Park staff and volunteers will be on hand to explain the trail system, trail suggestions, and park information. Trail maps are available both inside the visitor center at the front desk and outside the visitor center by both the front and back doors. Large-scale maps are available at every trail intersection and parking lot. Trail suggestions and maps can be found on the Activities tab on this page.
Le Rocher Gift Shop
Hours of Operation: Open most days when volunteers are present from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Le Rocher Gift Shop is quite special and unique because it is operated and owned by the Starved Rock Foundation, which is the non for profit friend's group of the state park. All proceeds from the gift shop (and only this gift shop on site) stay in the park to help purchase park supplies, and park programs, and support park events, displays, and exhibits!
Teachers get a 10% discount on all purchases when they show their school identification card at the register.
Would you like to learn more about the Starved Rock Foundation? Become a member today to help support the park!